Surgery and the waiting game…

When I told the world I was undergoing surgery to have my gallbladder removed, it didn’t seem that big of a deal. When they discovered the gallbladder wasn’t the problem and instead I’d need a total hysterectomy with an ovary removed as well…. it did.

We had already told the kids that Mum was going in for more surgery and what that all meant. I didn’t expect to be asked so many questions by 8 year olds, but we answered them all honestly.

Unfortunately being honest with 8 year olds also means that their friends, neighbourhood kids, teachers, random people at the supermarket etc. also become privy to this information. I realised it was only a matter of time before my ovaries were being discussed at Monday morning show and tell.

So if this was the case, I figured I should tell the whole story as well as documenting my recovery.

During the first surgery to remove my gallbladder (which you can read about here), along with everything else, they had found some dark spots and a cyst on one of my ovaries. I was referred to a gynecologist and surgery was booked asap.

More beautiful flowers xx

At this stage I wasn’t overly concerned. I’d been in pain for too long and I was just grateful that this seemed to be the solution. I figured there would be plenty of time to worry if it turned out that we had something to worry about. At the same time you just can’t stop yourself from thinking the dreaded: WHAT IF….

As far as the hysterectomy went, I wasn’t upset at all. We had no intentions of more children and I’ve never been a really sentimental person, so removing my female organs didn’t phase me. It did seem to bother a lot of other people though. People kept asking how I felt about it, if everything was ok, if I needed to talk etc which was lovely …. but only made me think I was some sort of sociopath because I really didn’t care.

Surgery was booked for 10.30am Monday morning, which meant I had to fast (both water and food) from midnight. As it turned out, my last food and drink was at 6pm the night before and this turned out to be a big problem since I didn’t end up going in for surgery till 2.30pm and hadn’t had any water for over 20 hours!!!

Apparently the surgery was a success and this is what they found: A BIG MESS! (see, kids don’t just ruin you from the outside, they get you from the inside too). I won’t go into detail, but I’m happy to say that it’s all been cleared out, cleaned up and stitched back together. Results on the ovary haven’t come back yet but I figure there’s no point in worrying about something that may not even be there to worry about.

When I wake up in recovery I find that I have 3 new puncture wounds (now 6 in total), 2 drips in my arm, inflatable things on both legs, oxygen going into my nose and a catheter. I HATE having things attached to my body! I’d much rather do 1000 burpees than have a drip stuck in a vein, let alone all these other things poking into me as well. I fluttered my eyelashes and asked the nurse if I could at least take the things off my legs…


*Note to self: don’t piss the nurses off, they are my only lifeline to the outside world.

My blood pressure was low and I was dehydrated (that’s a no brainer), which meant I had to have 3 litres of water pumped into my body over the next however many hours. I also felt queasy. Really queasy. I hadn’t eaten for so long, yet just even thinking about food made me feel sick. And then sure enough I start spewing. I think this was when whatever dignity I had left, was projected from my mouth and filled into the spew bag…. or maybe it was when the diarrhoea started.

Sometimes you’re the pin, and sometimes you’re the pincushion. I’d prefer to be the pin!

I managed to lose about 3kg in 2 weeks just from lack of food and water. I now weighed 55kg and that was before surgery! All I wanted at this stage was to feel normal again, get my appetite back and put on all the weight I’d lost from my cheeks.

Today I woke up feeling 100% better than yesterday. I think all the drugs had exited my body one way or another. The inflatable legs came off, the catheter came out, the oxygen was removed and the needles came out of my arm…. FREEDOM!!! Let the core rehabilitation begin. Yep that’s right, the sooner the better for me (check with your own medical professional for individual advice). 

Our next Challenge begins in less than 2 weeks and that’s perfect timing for me to start our SBF core rehabilitation program which I’ll be adding to SBF Challenge #13!!! If you’d like to join me on this journey, you can join our SBF Challenge #13 team here: I want to join team #13

In the mean time, I’ll be doing basic T/A holds and pelvic floor holds which you can learn how to do here:

How to find your T/A muscles

How to activate your pelvic floor

Or you may want to read more about core rehabilitation / abdominal separation here.

Thanks once again to everyone for your ongoing love and support, I really appreciate all your well wishes. I’ve tried to respond to all your social media messages, but just in case I’ve missed people, THANK YOU.

Stay tuned for next week’s update: “And the results are…”

Author: Sally Brouwer

Share This Post On

Leave a Reply

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This